The end of the year and making solar ovens seem to go hand and hand. The sun is shining, students are excited for summer break, and we need to pull out the stops to keep them engaged and learning. Enter…the solar oven project! This post will share the materials and directions to have your students make their own solar oven projects, including lots of free printables to help you easily implement this in your class.
Solar Oven Project Materials
Note – Make this a partner or small group project to save on materials and prep-time.
- Marker or pencil
- Box cutter
- Black construction paper
- Cardboard pizza box – ask parents and fellow staff members to donate their empty boxes
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic wrap
- Oven mitt
- Whatever treat you are heating up
- Optional free printables
Solar Oven Directions*
*Printable (illustrated) directions are included in the free download in the following section.
1. Start with a clean cardboard pizza box.
2. Using a marker or pencil and a ruler, draw a square one-inch in from the edges on the top of the pizza box.
3. Using a box cutter cut out three of the four lines to make a flap. Do not cut the line at the top of the pizza box.
4. Cover the inside of the flap with aluminum foil and tape it down securely.
5. Line the inside edges of the bottom of the pizza box with strips of aluminum foil.
6. Line the bottom of the bottom of the pizza box with black paper.
7. Now you’ll need to cover the opening with plastic wrap. Securely tape one piece of plastic wrap to the top of the hole and one piece underneath the hole. You want to create an airtight window.
8. Place an aluminum pie pan or a plate covered with aluminum foil inside your new solar oven.
One delicious (and popular solar oven) treat you can make is s’mores. Stack a graham cracker, a piece of chocolate and several mini marshmallows on your aluminum plate. Place your solar oven out in the afternoon sun and check on your treats every few minutes until the chocolate and marshmallows are melted.
Another treat you can make is nachos. Layer tortilla chips and shredded cheese on an aluminum plate. Sprinkle some taco seasoning on top.
FREE Solar Oven Project Printables
The free solar oven worksheets and printables include:
- The Science Behind Solar Ovens Reading Passage and Questions
- Solar Oven Predictions Printable
- Solar Oven Materials and Purpose Printable
- Solar Oven Observations Printable
- Solar Oven Reflection Printable
- How to Create a Solar Oven Directions (Printable, illustrated version of the directions shared on this post)