Are you searching for an interactive and purposeful way to review or introduce a variety of suffixes to your 4th and 5th-grade students? This post shares a free suffix reading passage with teaching posters, after-reading word work activities, and more. Incorporating this free resource into your instruction will help your students authentically explore and understand grade-level suffixes within the context of reading.
About the Suffix Reading Passage Practice
This high-interest passage with extension printables for 4th and 5th graders is the perfect way to authentically review several grade-level suffixes.
This set focuses on derivational suffixes that change the meaning and/or part of speech of a word. While the story does include some inflectional suffixes (-ed, -‘s, -s’, -s, and -ing), those are not the focus of the review. Inflectional suffixes are those that show tense, number, or possession without changing the word’s part of speech or basic meaning.
- -er and -or
Here are the resources included in this free suffix practice set:
Teaching Posters: Use the posters to introduce or review the suffixes used in the story in the extension activities. There are four suffix posters included:
- A poster of the suffixes used in the story with meanings and example words
- A poster about how suffixes can be added to free bases (breakable) and bound roots (visible).
- A poster about how some words can have multiple suffixes
- A poster reviewing suffix spelling conventions
Engaging Passage: The passage incorporates several words with a variety of suffixes. It’s the perfect way for students to see the use of suffixes in a real-life context.
Lesson Plan and Teacher’s Guide: A lesson plan is included to guide you through the process of teaching and reviewing suffixes as well as introducing the story. Meanings and breakdowns of the suffixed words is also included.
Extension Practice Printables: Several printables are included to further deepen students’ understanding and use of the suffixes. Choose which ones work best for your students and your instructional goals. More about these activities in the next section.
About the Extension Printables
Here are the extension activities included:
- Find the Words: Students will record words from the story that use suffixes.
- Code the Words: Students are given the words from the story and must code them by putting a box around the suffixes.
- What’s the Meaning?: Students are given the words from the story. They will put a box around the suffix and then write the meaning of each word.
- Show What You Know: Students demonstrate their understanding of the suffixed words from the story by answering questions.
- Word Generation: Students generate a list of new words that contain the same suffixes used in the words from the story.
- Writing Sentences: Students choose 5 words from the story to use in unique sentences.
- Completing Sentences: Students complete new sentences with words from the story.
Note: The first three activities are different variations of finding and coding words from the story. You may want to choose only one based on your goals.
About the Digital Suffix Reading Passage
A digital version is also included. The content has been redesigned for use with Google Slides with visually appealing colors, text boxes, and/or moveable pieces for the students to use. Students must be in EDIT mode to complete the slides versions.
Remember to delete the slides you do not want to assign your students before assigning. For tips and guidance with assigning Google Slides, click here.
Grab the Free Suffix Passage and Activities HERE
To get the free suffix reading passage and activities sent straight to your inbox, click the button below and enter your email in the form that pops up.
Note: Using a personal email address is better for deliverability reasons.
Want MORE Suffix Reading Passages?
If you love this suffix reading passage and want more for reviewing and teaching specific suffixes (and just a few at a time), check out this bundle of 13 sets of suffix passages with extension activities, just like this free set!
Shop This Post